Monday, May 21, 2012

Gluten-Free Vegan Tarte aux Fruits


I was invited to a BBQ dinner on Mother's Day, so I brought along a fruit tart as a small gift.  A few weekends ago, I was watching Hubert Keller make a Tarte aux Fruits in his show on PBS.  I thought, "Hey!  I could both Veganize and Gluten-free that recipe."  So I quickly got to work figuring it out.

There are 4 layers to the recipe.  First is the cake layer.  Keller's was a butter cake, but I've been wanting to try my hand at baking with almond meal, so I came up with an almond cake recipe.  Second, is a layer of pastry cream.  I already had a Vegan version, so I substituted the flour with rice flour.  Third is the toasted sliced almonds.  And lastly, the fruit and glaze to top the cake.  Hubert Keller's version had apples, bananas, grapes and other assorted fruit.  Berries were in season, so I thought I'd stick with them.

This tart was so yummy.  The cake was moist and slightly dense, which complimented the light and sweet berries.  I was especially happy with the gluten-free pastry cream.  A cousin has already requested this cake for her upcoming birthday.  Will post more photos in a few weeks.






No comments:

Post a Comment