Monday, June 6, 2011

Adventures in Piping: Vegan Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd Filling


A couple weeks ago was the one year mark since my first venture into Vegan baking.  It was my step-father’s birthday, and instead of making him cupcakes like last year, I was now able to bake him a cake.  The next leg of this journey was to begin learning how to decorate.  I find cake decorating fascinating, and enjoy watching TV shows like Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss.  On the other hand, I also find cake decorating to be quite intimidating.  But how was I to know how difficult it is unless I gave it a try?  I purchased the necessary tools and watched videos on YouTube for tips and technique.  Next, I whipped up a small batch of frosting to practice with, and found that it wasn’t as terrifying as I originally perceived it would be.

I wasn’t satisfied with the lemon cake recipe the first time, so I took advantage of this opportunity to give it another shot.  Since this was a birthday cake, I needed to make two layers.  Along with the frosting, I also filled the cake with a Lemon Curd recipe.  Again, there were a few miscues.  The day before the birthday celebration, I was becoming antsy so instead of waiting for the curd to chill thoroughly overnight, I cooked it in the morning and filled the cake later that day.  As soon as I stacked the second layer, the curd started to ooze out the sides of the cake.  I quickly wiped it up and placed the cake in the freezer.  In a half hour, the curd had set and I was ready to proceed.  Misstep thwarted, phew.  I frosted the cake, busted out the cake decorating tools and went to town.  I have to admit, it was fun piping lines, dots and squiggles, and I found it to be quite therapeutic.  With the cake completed, all I needed to do was transport it to my Mom’s house the next day.

The cake arrived safely and we had a couple of hours until my step-father returned home from work.  It was placed safely on the counter while we waited for his arrival.  Huge, glaring error!  As the cake was revealed, I noticed that the curd was starting to seep from the bottom of the cake.  It should’ve stayed cool in the fridge.  Mistakes aside, the lemon cake had a nice balance of sweet and tart, creating a refreshing sensation with each bite.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


(Lemon Cake and Whipped Frosting recipes from a previous post.) 

Lemon Curd Filling
(Recipe halved from Vegansaurus!)

1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Water
3/4 cup Sugar
2 tbs Corn Starch
Zest of 1 Lemon
Pinch of Sea Salt
5 tbs + 1 tsp Soy Milk Creamer
1 tbs Earth Balance Vegan Margarine

Whisk all ingredients except soy milk and margarine in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.  When it comes to a boil, stop whisking and allow to boil for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat and stir in soy milk and margarine.  Place in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap to avoid skin being formed.  Let cool to room temperature, then place in the refrigerator and chill for 8 hours or overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment